Your skin is a reflection of your inner (and outer) health. It performs many important functions to keep you healthy, yet many people know surprising little about how to care for it.
Some skin care tips you’re probably aware of include maintaining a healthy, balanced diet, getting regular exercise, not smoking and drinking plenty of water. But here are 10 additional skin care tips that might surprise you:
- Use botanical products that are colored (not white). Botanicals are plants valued for their medicinal or therapeutic properties, flavors, and/or scents. They are often added to skin care products because they contain beta-carotene that can actually improve skin quality. Just make sure you’re using the right kind of botanical products, which are the ones that are colored since botanicals have natural coloring. If a botanical product is white, you probably shouldn’t use it because it most likely contains chemicals that were required during processing to make it white.
- Facial massages can help massage away the years. Massage is beneficial for your face as well as your body. Facial massage stimulates fibroblasts (or cells) in the skin to release collagen and restore elasticity that is lost as you get older. Many facials include massage to massage away the years that may have taken a toll on your skin.
- You’re never too young to start taking care of your skin. Did you know that 20-year-olds and 40-year-olds lose facial collagen at the same rate? Unfortunately, by the time you’re 20, your skin already starts to show the signs of aging. So don’t wait until you’re older to start using advanced products in your skin care regimen. The time to start is now.
- ALWAYS wash your hands before touching your face. Every day at any given time, your hands are contaminated with billions of bacteria which get transferred to your face every time you touch your face. That’s why it’s so important to thoroughly wash your hands before you wash your face, put on or remove your make-up, apply lotions and skin care products, etc. Bacteria are the number one cause of breakouts, and most of the germs don’t come from the air or other sources—they come from your own dirty hands.
- Open your pores before using skin care products. To get the maximum benefits from your skin care products, it’s important to open your pores before using them. The best way to do this is to put a hot wash cloth on your face for a few moments before applying your skin care products.
- Get the proper nutrition to avoid bone loss in your face and body. Unfortunately, thinning bones and loss of bone mass affects millions of Americans, and it can include the bones in your face. This means your face may actually shrink as you get older, making your face look hollow as if your skin is hanging on your face. Osteoporosis, or thin bones, affects more than 28 million Americans due to poor nutrition, lack of exercise and changes brought on by menopause. But most people don’t realize that osteoporosis and thinning bones are preventable with the proper nutrition and exercise. Experts say that adopting a healthy lifestyle and maintaining sufficient levels of calcium, magnesium and other minerals can help both men and women maintain strong, healthy bones. To make sure you’re getting the proper nutritional support for your bones, experts recommend taking vitamin supplements, such as Healthy Choice Naturals Osteo-Care. It provides an effective, all-natural bone-support formula of much needed calcium, magnesium and vitamin D.
- One of the most important things you can do for your skin is to take vitamins. One of the best things you can do for your skin is to take vitamins and nutritional supplements. It makes perfect sense when you consider that your skin is a reflection of your overall health, including your nutrition. As you age, make sure to include plenty of antioxidants and omega-3 oils in your daily diet and vitamin regimen. You can find an excellent selection of effective and affordable, all-natural vitamins and supplements at healthychoicenaturals.com.
- Smile more to tone your facial muscles. Your face is made of muscles, and it’s important to keep them toned just like the rest of your body, so they don’t get flabby. One way to do this is to smile more often. But don’t squint or scowl too much because this could create those fine lines and wrinkles that can age your skin’s appearance.
- You can never moisturize too much. If you think you’ve adequately moisturized your skin, do it some more because you can never moisturize too much. For best results, apply moisturizer to damp skin so it can trap some of the extra surface moisture and infuse it into your skin. And don’t forget to drink plenty of water every day. Staying hydrated is one of the best ways you can moisturize your body and your skin from the inside-out.
- Using cold cucumbers on your eyes isn’t just an old wives’ tale. You might think it’s an old wives’ tale, but research has proven that putting cold cucumbers on puffy eyes really helps to soothe and reduce the swelling. In fact, some expensive eye products contain chemical extracts that are similar to cucumbers, but why not use the real thing since it is all natural? So the next time you’re in the produce section buying cucumbers for your salad, pick up an extra one for your eyes.
Of all the skin care tips, the most important one is to start caring for your skin now. Don’t wait! By starting now and following these skin care tips, you can reduce additional damage to your skin and maintain healthy, vibrant and more youthful looking skin.
- Are you Dealing with Dry Skin and Hair During Menopause and Premenopause?
- Relief for Dry Skin: 12 Tips to Beat Dry Skin this Summer
- Does Your Skin Care Product Contain These Harmful Chemicals?
- For Younger Looking Skin, Avoid these 25 Things that Age Your Skin
- Sunscreen Safety Alert – Environmental Group Says Only 1 in 5 Sunscreens OK
- 25 Tips for Beautiful Skin