How You can Defend Against Avian Flu and Other Viruses.
Special Report November 2005
If you turned on the news or have picked up a newspaper in the past several weeks, you’ve surely been exposed to the climate of fear surrounding the avian flu. The hysteria is rampant, with some public health officials predicting 150 million deaths worldwide. But is the avian flu as serious a threat as some are suggesting? Let’s look at the facts.
The virus is dangerous in the general sense that none of us has natural protection against the bird flu. And when it does infect humans, it can be fatal. However transmission to humans is rare. According to the World Health Organization, there have been 124 confirmed human cases of the H5N1 strain of the avian flu in the last eight years, mostly in the Far East. Of concern is many of them are in the last 12 months and new deaths have been reported this week (November 16, 2005 ). For the bird flu to have a serious impact on us, it would have to be first transmitted to the U.S. and mutate to a strain that easily passes from birds to humans. Then it would have to mutate again into a strain that easily passes from person to person.
While this is highly unlikely, it is possible. Past pandemics have occurred about every 25 years. Severe pandemics happen about once every 100 years. So whether it’s bird flu or some other pathogen, there is a pretty good chance that you will see a pandemic in your lifetime.
If this were to happen with the avian flu, the most pessimistic disease models put the U.S. death toll at 10 million people out of a population of 295 million. Strictly for the discussion, let’s assume this will happen. There are two ways to look at these numbers:
You can focus on the possibility that 10 million people might die, or you can focus on the fact that at least 285 million people will NOT die.
The question to consider is this:
How can you make sure you and your family are among the 285 million survivors?
Consider these recommendations.
- Don’t rely on a vaccine for prevention. For it to work, you have to be vaccinated against the exact strain being passed.
- Don’t put your faith exclusively in Tamiflu.
Tamiflu is an antiviral drug that is being touted as a treatment for the bird flu. And though the government is asking people not to, many Americans are rushing to buy it. Tamiflu will not prevent you from becoming infected with the flu. What it can do is reduce the severity of the symptoms and the number of days you suffer from them (by one or two days). It can also help inhibit the spread of a virus.
Will Tamiflu work against a future, mutated strain of avian flu? The jury is out and no one knows for sure. If the specific formula of drug you are taking does not target the specific strain you’re faced with you really have no protection. So stockpiling the formula of the drug that is currently available may not be of value in the future.
In the event of an outbreak of the bird flu or any other strains of flu which may develop consider these steps:
For prevention, trust your immune system.
Your immune system has the extraordinary ability to neutralize and destroy invaders and restore your body to health. For it to function optimally, you must consume the vital nutrients and antioxidants your system needs. This means a diet rich in a variety of vegetables and fruits. You should eat plenty of protein, which is necessary to make white blood cells and antibodies. And cut out the sugar and refined carbohydrates as they depress your immune system.
If you do fall ill (or know you have been exposed to avian flu), give your immune system a boost.
Fortunately, there are many safe, natural medicines that can help your body recover.
Here are several proven immune boosters :
- Vitamin D - Growing evidence suggests that colds and flu are, in large part, due to a winter-time vitamin D deficiency – which compromises the immune system. Take cod liver oil in winter months if you are not able to spend time in the sun.
- Selenium – Studies show that people who are deficient in selenium are more susceptible to viruses. (Viruses also readily mutate in selenium-deficient individuals.) This mineral is scarce in the food supply. Brazil nuts are the richest natural source.
- Lomatium – This is an anti-viral herb used extensively by Native American Indians for upper respiratory infections. During the Spanish flu outbreak of 1918, doctors discovered that the Indians who used this remedy recovered rapidly.
- Astragalus – The best-known immune-boosting herb in Chinese medicine, research now shows that astragalus increases the production of Natural Killer cells and lymphocytes.
- Reishi mushrooms – The Chinese refer to these as “the mushrooms of immortality.” They are widely recognized for their ability to promote resistance to flu-causing viruses.
- Beta glucan – Hundreds of studies have shown that this substance, derived from yeast and mushrooms, stimulates the production and activity of immune cells.
And here are some proven pathogen destroyers:
- Oil of oregano - This has been shown to effectively kill pathogenic bacteria, viruses, fungi, and protozoa. It also has strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Garlic - Stimulates your immune system and inhibits the proliferation of viruses, bacteria, and fungi. For optimal immune benefits, garlic should be crushed and eaten raw. (See It’s Good to Know, below.)
- Olive leaf extract – A powerful anti-bacterial and anti-viral compound.
- Pau d’arco - This herb, which comes from the South American rainforest, has been used for centuries to boost immunity and protect against pathogens. Research shows that it kills bacteria and viruses.
- Colloidal silver - In the event of an epidemic, I would not be without a colloidal silver solution. It has been shown to kill ALL viruses and is known to be effective against more than 650 disease-causing organisms. There is NO known superbug that is resistant to it.
Note: Colloidal silver is safe to take internally and it can be highly effective in situations where drugs don’t work. However, I would never use this product on a daily basis (as some manufacturers recommend). It should only be used occasionally to combat illness.
Unlike most antibiotic and anti-viral medicines which target a particular strain of bacteria or virus, all of the above natural compounds can safely destroy a wide range of microbes and pathogens. In most cases they are far more effective than their prescription alternatives, with far less risk.
Use them to support your body’s natural immunity. They will be your first line of defense against illness, sickness and infection. In the event the bird virus strikes, you and your family will be in a strong position to survive.
- 10 Ways to Strengthen Your Immune System
- Top 5 Natural Immune Boosters that Work to Keep You Healthy
- Probiotic Foods and Probiotic Supplements Become More Important as You Age
- Restoring Your Intestinal Flora: The Important Role Intestinal Microflora Play in Your Health
- 5 Surprising Reasons Your Immune System May Need a Lift
- Probiotic Supplements: A Growing Trend for Optimal Digestive & Immune System Health