The types of foods you eat affect every part of your body, including your hair. Certain nutrients in particular, play an important part in the health of your hair. So if you want thick, shiny, healthy locks, be sure to eat more of the following foods:
- Beans- Beans such as legumes and lentils are good sources of Biotin an important vitamin for thick hair. A lack of biotin will leave your hair brittle.
- Yogurt-A six-ounce cup of non-fat yogurt provides 25% of your daily needs of calcium, a mineral vital to hair growth.
- Lean Beef- Iron allows red blood cells to carry oxygen to all the cells in the body, including your hair follicles and low iron levels can lead to baldness. Lean cuts of beef are a good source of iron.
- Leafy Greens-Leafy greens such as spinach and kale contain vitamin C which helps your body absorb iron and helps produce oils that lock in your hairs moisture. You will most likely get enough vitamin C from your diet, as long as you eat a variety of fruits and vegetables daily.
- Almonds-Almonds contain high amounts of protein, which gives your hair strength, and the mineral zinc, which keeps it thick (zinc deficiencies can lead to hair loss).
- Tuna-Omega-3 fats are important for a healthy scalp. Lack of Omega 3’s in your diet can result in dry scalp and dull hair. A three-ounce portion of cooked tuna contains more than 1400 milligrams of Omega 3s making it one of the best foods for healthy hair.
- Whole-Grain Cereals-B vitamins are important to keeping your hair healthy. Whole grain cereals with vitamin B-12 are an easy item to add to your daily menu.
- Water- If you have dry hair be sure to drink more water. Your body needs the fluids to keep moisture in your hair so be sure to drink at least 8 glasses a day.
Most importantly, make sure you are consuming a balanced diet. Your body has a priority system for the nutrients it receives, so if it only has a limited number of nutrients, it will send those nutrients to the cells essential for life. Therefore, your hair is one of the first types of cells to go. In addition to eating these foods for healthy hair, you may want to consider adding a supplement to your diet to help restore important nutrients needed to maintain healthy hair. Healthy Choice Naturals Hair, Skin and Nail Essentials contains 8 important vitamins, minerals and nutrients including Biotin to promote thick, shiny, healthy hair.