The world is full of dangers from air pollution to toxic metals like lead, but did you know there are many household dangers in your home that are more harmful than lead paint? These household dangers range from toxic dental fillings to unhealthy foods and chemically-laced products we use every day.
- Mercury dental fillings: “Silver” amalgam dental fillings used throughout the U.S. contain 40% mercury, a toxic heavy metal that is known to cause cancer. These fillings are put directly in the mouths of children and adults where they emit poisonous mercury vapors every time they are stimulated by chewing, brushing your teeth, drinking, etc. These toxic vapors are absorbed through the mouth tissues and are swallowed and inhaled where they cross the blood-brain barrier and invade tissues throughout the body. This can lead to systemic mercury poisoning and neurological damage. Yet, despite these facts, more than half of dentists in America continue to use mercury fillings.
- Hotdogs: If you knew how hotdogs were made and what ingredients they contain, you most likely would never want to eat them or feed them to your children again. One of the worst ingredients is the preservative sodium nitrate which can cause cancer.
- Antibacterial soap: Antibacterial soaps contain a mixture of toxic chemicals designed to kill life. While they kill bacteria, they can also harmful to humans. Instead, use natural soaps.
- Sunscreen: Many sunscreen products contain toxic ingredients which are quickly absorbed through the skin. Plus sunscreen blocks the UV rays from the sun that allow the skin to manufacture vitamin D, which is a vital nutrient your body requires for optimal health.
- Fluoridated water: It’s alarming how city water officials across America have been convinced to put a toxic waste substance (fluoride) into the public water supply where it is ingested by infants and children. This has resulted in mass fluorosis and toxicity in children everywhere. The fact is that fluoride only works as a topical substance, meaning it only works when rubbed on your teeth and is spit out. And even then, it’s only effective if it is natural fluoride and not the chemical kind that is a fertilizer industry byproduct that city water departments put in the public water supply.
- Processed milk: Processed milk can be contaminated with pus, blood, pesticides and other chemicals plus it’s also homogenized, which means the fats are altered in a way that keeps them suspended. Drinking raw, unprocessed milk is a healthier option.
- Fast food: Fast food is extremely unhealthy for everyone but especially for children. Not only are the foods often fried, homogenized, and hydrogenated, they’re also laced with unhealthy fillers and chemical additives, artificial flavor enhancers, processed sugars, artificial food colorings, etc. The healthiest choice is to eliminate fast food from your diet altogether.
- Chemical laundry detergents: Most laundry detergents contain synthetic chemicals that are harmful to your health and the environment. In fact, fragrance chemicals alone are often carcinogenic and post health risks and environmental hazards.
- Flame retardant chemicals: Alarmingly, new infant and child mattresses are often sprayed with toxic flame retardant chemicals that can be absorbed through the skin where they may lead to numerous neurological and immune suppression disorders. Many clothing and carpet products are also sprayed with flame retardants. In the effort to make everything fire-safe, state regulators have mandated the use of flame retardant chemicals which has contributed to the household dangers throughout many states.
- Sodas: We all know that sodas are unhealthy and contribute to diabetes and obesity, but they also contain phosphoric acid, a substance that dissolves bones and decreases bone mineral density. This can cause rapid tooth decay in addition to shrinking jaw bone and overall skeletal frailty.
- Air fresheners: While air fresheners make the room smell nice, they also fill the air with carcinogenic chemicals. This household danger exposes everyone, including children, to harmful chemicals that contribute to asthma and other respiratory ailments. A healthier option is to use oils or citrus peels. Just put a bowl of orange peels in whatever room you’d like to freshen up.
- Dryer sheets: Many anti-static cling dryer sheets and fabric softeners are made with toxic chemicals that are harmful to children and adults. The perfume chemicals alone are often highly carcinogenic. Children’s clothes should never be washed or dried in chemicals. Instead, use natural detergents and fabric softeners, or don’t use them at all.
- Bacon: Most bacon and sausages are processed with sodium nitrite or nitrates and are contaminated with harmful chemicals stored in the animal fats. Conventionally-raised beef, pork and poultry products are considered by many nutrition experts as toxic to humans and contribute to many health disorders. If you eat meat, your best option is to buy 100% organic, free-range, antibiotic-free meats that contain no nitrites or nitrates.
- Shampoos and bath products: Practically every shampoo and bath product available contains many harmful chemicals and carcinogens. Just read the labels to see for yourself. Look for natural options in your local health food store or on-line.
If you’re like most people, these household dangers may have gone undetected until now. But armed with this information, you can make healthier choices and informed consumer decisions to protect your family from these household dangers in the future.