According to a recent “FluView Report for 2012-2013 Influenza Season” by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), the numbers of flu cases in the U.S. this season are higher than last year’s flu season statistics. While it’s impossible to predict the severity of any flu season, flu activity commonly peaks in the U.S. in January or February.
The FluView reports are published weekly by the CDC with weekly flu statistics from September 30, 2012 through the end of the flu season which could last through May. For the full FluView report, visit http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/.
Flu Vaccines Recommended by the CDC
The CDC recommends that everyone 6 months of age and older get vaccinated against influenza each year. Already this season, more than 129 million doses of influenza vaccine have been distributed in the U.S. and this total is projected to reach 145 million doses by the end of the 2012-13 flu season. For more information about influenza, go to www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/fluviewinteractive.htm.
6 of the Best Immune Boosters to Help You Stay Well during the Flu Season
In addition to getting your flu vaccination, the key to staying well this flu season is to help strengthen your immune system so your body can fight off any offending viruses and bacteria you might encounter. Here are six of the best immune boosters to help you get through the flu season:
- Eat a Healthy Diet, Avoid Sugar, and Take a Daily Multi-vitamin: Americans consume an average of about 3 pounds of sugar per person every year, which impairs the immune system, especially during the cold and flu season. Sugar increases the production of hormones that suppress the immune system. Plus, refined sugar needs micronutrients to properly metabolize. This requires your body to use stored vitamins and minerals which further robs nutrients from your defenses and compromises your immune system. In contrast, eating a healthy diet that includes a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables will help you get many of the vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals you need to fight off illnesses and safeguard your health. Furthermore, to ensure you’re getting adequate amounts of all the vitamins and minerals required for your optimal health, take a natural supplement such as Healthy Choice Naturals Full Spectrum Daily Multiple. It contains a powerful formula of 56 all-natural vitamins, minerals and vital nutrients to support your overall health and wellness. Go to http://shop.healthychoicenaturals.com/Complete-Multivitamin-Supplement-p/spectrum.htm for more information about Full Spectrum Daily Multiple.
- Take an Immune Boosting Supplement: Even if you eat a healthy diet, it’s difficult to get enough of all the essential nutrients your body requires to fight off illness and maintain your health, especially during the flu season. To shore up your immune system, take an all-natural supplement such as Healthy Choice Naturals Immune Essentials. It provides the best immune boosters in a powerful formula of 20 all-natural vitamins, herbs and nutrients designed to provide the natural nutritional support your body needs to maintain your immune defenses and stay healthy. For more information about Immune Essentials, go to http://shop.healthychoicenaturals.com/Natural-Immune-System-Boosters-p/immune.htm.
- Don’t Forget to Take Your Vitamin D: Vitamin D is one of the most important vitamins required for your good health. In fact, about one-sixth of the human genome is regulated by vitamin D, which means it’s involved in nearly every vital process and system in your body, including your immune system. Despite how crucial vitamin D is for our health, it’s estimated that about 70% of Americans have a vitamin D deficiency. Our bodies produce vitamin D naturally when we are exposed to sunlight, which means we produce less vitamin D during the winter months due to the lack of sunshine. Experts hypothesize that this may contribute to the increased cold and flu cases during the winter months. This is why it’s important to have alternative ways to get this crucial vitamin. A great way to ensure you’re getting the daily vitamin D you need is to fortify your diet with an all-natural supplement such as Healthy Choice Naturals Vitamin-D Essential Complex. It provides 4000 IU of vitamin D3 in every daily dose, plus vitaminK-2 and other essential nutrients that enhance vitamin D metabolism and improves utilization by up to 274% compared to other vitamin D supplements on the market. For more information about Vitamin-D Essential Complex, go to http://shop.healthychoicenaturals.com/Vitamin-D-Capsules-Vitamin-D3-p/vitamind.htm.
- Take a Natural Probiotic Supplement: Your immune system is your body’s first line of defense against the flu and other illnesses. What might surprise you is that approximately 80% of your immune system is found in your digestive tract. That’s why it’s so important to maintain your digestive health. The key is to keep the proper balance of “good” bacteria in your gut verses the “bad” bacteria and yeasts that are constantly trying to overtake your digestive tract. Unhealthy eating habits, taking antibiotics, lack of sleep, and living a stressful lifestyle are all things that can throw your system out of whack. A great way to restore and maintain the proper balance in your gut is to take an all-natural probiotic supplement such as Healthy Choice Naturals Balanced Probiotic. It contains over five billion friendly bacteria from all seven major probiotic strains including: Bacillus Subtilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Lactobacillus Casei, Bifidobacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Bifidobacterium Breve. This powerful formula works to boost your immune, digestive and colon system health naturally. For more information about Balanced Probiotic, go to http://shop.healthychoicenaturals.com/Balanced-Probiotic-Supplement-p/probiotic.htm.
- Stay Active and Exercise Regularly: You most likely know that exercising is good for your health and wellbeing for countless reasons, but did you know that it is one of the most powerful ways you can boost your immune system? It’s true. Exercising improves the circulation of white blood cells throughout your body, and it boosts the production of natural killer T cells, which are required to maintain a healthy immune response. Just 20 minutes of brisk walking 4-5 times a week is all it takes to boost your immune system. And if you exercise outdoors during the daytime, you can also boost your natural vitamin D production from your exposure to sunlight.
- Reduce Stress: We all know that stress is bad for us for a myriad of reasons, and one of them is that it impairs the immune system. That’s why it’s key to reduce stress in your life through meditation, prayer, exercise, yoga, hobbies, music, etc.
Implement these six best immune boosters to build-up your immune system and improve your chances of staying well this flu season and beyond. To help avoid having to visit your doctor this year, instead visit http://shop.healthychoicenaturals.com to stock up on all-natural vitamins and nutritional supplements to fortify your health and boost your immune system so you can enjoy better health and wellness all year long.
Other Precautions to Avoid Spreading Germs
In addition to the above recommendations, you can help stop spreading influenza and other illnesses by taking the following precautions advised by the CDC:
- If you come down with flu-like illness, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities. (Your fever should be gone without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.)
- Cover your mouth when you cough and sneeze and wash your hands afterwards.
- Wash your hands frequently throughout the day.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Clean and disinfect commonly shared areas and frequently touched surfaces such as computer keyboards/mice, phones, doorknobs, faucets, etc., that are at home, work and school, and step-up cleaning efforts when someone is ill.