While there are many (unnecessary) pharmacological treatments for the prevention and management of coronary heart disease, both health professionals as well as the public believe simple dietary interventions may prove to be more beneficial.
Omega-3 fatty acids from fish and fish oils helps protect against cardiovascular disease.
Omega-3 Protects Your Heart
Following are just some of the heart benefits Omega-3 has to offer:
- Antiarrhythmic: counteracting or preventing cardiac arrhythmia
- Antithrombotic: tending to prevent thrombosis (a blood clot within a blood vessel)
- Antiatherosclerotic: preventing fatty deposits and fibrosis of the inner layer of the arteries from forming
- Anti-inflammatory: counteracting inflammation (heat, pain, swelling, etc.)
- Improves endothelial function: a major factor in promoting the growth of new blood vessels
- Lowers blood pressure
- Lowers triglycerides, or neutralizes fat concentrations
Guidelines from the American Heart Association have supported the use of fish oil supplements for patients with documented coronary heart disease.
British Medical Journal 2004;328:30-35 January 3, 2004