Useful Tips for a Good Night’s Sleep
Feeling grumpy or drowsy today? It could be because you are not getting enough sleep. The stress of our daily lives and responsibilities can make it difficult to fall asleep or stay asleep.
You may not be able to control all of the factors that interfere with your sleep, but you can create an environment and adopt habits that encourage a better night’s sleep.
Tips to Get More Sound Sleep
- Go bland before bedtime.
- To fall asleep quickly, avoid caffeine, nicotine and alcohol for at least four hours before you go to bed.
- Be predictable.
- Go to bed around the same time every night, and try to follow a similar routine.
- Don’t toss and turn.
- If you can’t sleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed and do something else.
- Take a bath.
- When your body gets ready for sleep, your temperature drops. A bath may nudge your bedtime biochemistry along.
- Exercise Regularly.
- 30 minutes a day can help you fall asleep. You should do it before dinner, not after.
- Get dark.
- People usually sleep best in a cool, dark environment. Invest in heavy drapes if city lights glare outside.
- Grab a snack.
- It’s hard to sleep hungry, so try a light snack before bedtime. Some researchers think tryptophan, a chemical found in milk, naturally induces sleep.
- Keep your bed for sleeping.
- If you are used to watching TV or doing work in bed, you may find it harder to relax and to think of bed as a place to sleep.
- Deal with stress.
- If daytime troubles keep you awake, try jotting notes about ways to deal with them. Leave stress at the bedroom door, if you can.
- Natural Sleeping Aids.
- Natural sleeping aids that contain vitamins and minerals such as chamomile and melatonin are effective alternatives to over the counter or prescription sleeping pills. In addition, having a multivitamin supplement each day is a great idea to ensure that the body is receiving all the essential nutrients to balance your system for a good night’s sleep.
- Listen to white noise or relaxation CDs.
- Some people find the sound of white noise or nature sounds, such as the ocean or forest to be soothing for sleep.
On average, most adults need about seven to nine hours of sleep per night. Children and teenagers require more sleep because their bodies are still growing. Children between the ages of 5 and 12 should get nine to eleven hours sleep and adolescents age 11 to 17 need 8½ to 9½ hours of sleep.
Healthy Choice Naturals SleepWell is an all natural, highly effective sleep remedy that can help restore sleep patterns. Its formula contains 12 highly effective, natural sleep enhancing ingredients including chamomile, melatonin and vitamin B6 to help you get a good night’s sleep.