- First sit down and write down why you want to quit (the benefits of quitting): live longer, feel better, for your family, save money, smell better, find a mate more easily, etc. You know what’s bad about smoking and you know what you’ll get by quitting. Put it on paper and read it daily.
- Set a quit date. Decide what day you will extinguish your cigarettes forever.
- Ask your family and friends to support your decision to quit. Ask them to be completely supportive and non-judgmental. Let them know ahead of time that you will probably be irritable and even irrational while you withdraw from your smoking habit.
- Get help. Support and guidance from a health practitioner is a proven way to better your chances of quitting.
- Begin an exercise program. Exercise is simply incompatible with smoking. Exercise relieves stress and helps your body recover from years of damage from cigarettes.
- Do some deep breathing each day for 3 to 5 minutes. Breathe in through your nose very slowly, hold the breath for a few seconds, and exhale very slowly through your mouth.
- Have your teeth cleaned. Enjoy the way your teeth look and feel and plan to keep them that way.
- Drink lots of water. Water is good for you anyway, and most people don’t get enough. It will help flush the nicotine and other chemicals out of your body, plus it can help reduce cravings by fulfilling the “oral desires” that you may have.
- Learn what triggers your desire for a cigarette, such as stress, the end of a meal, arrival at work, entering a bar, etc. Avoid these triggers or if that’s impossible, plan alternative ways to deal with the triggers.
- Find something to hold in your hand and mouth, to replace cigarettes. You might try an artificial cigarette
Lastly believe in yourself. Believe that you can quit. Think about some of the most difficult things you have done in your life and realize that you have the guts and determination to quit smoking.
If cigarettes are a problem for you or someone you care for, we recommend our Kick Your Nic! 7 Day Quit Smoking Kit. Nearly 94,000 smokers have quit using this affordable and easy to follow Natural Herbal Plan. It has a 93% success rate and comes with a money back guarantee.