In recent decades the Chia Pet has been something of a pop culture icon and believe it or not, they are beginning to create a buzz once again. However, this time instead of spreading the seed and watching them grow, people are eating the seeds. Hardly anyone knows about it just yet, but Chia seeds are truly one of the super foods of this century, and with good reason.
Here are some of the reason why:
- Chia is rich in omega 3 fatty acids. In fact, 30% of Chia seeds oil is Omega 3 oil.
- Chia seed is also a rich source of calcium and it contains the important mineral boron, which acts as a catalyst for the absorption and utilization of calcium by the body. It also contains iron and magnesium. 2 oz of Chia seeds contains 600 mg of calcium as compared to 120 mg for a glass of milk.
- Chia is high in dietary fiber to lessen blood sugar swings.
- Chia is a good source of high quality protein. About 19% to 23% of the Chia seed weight is protein.
- Chia is high in antioxidants. In fact, Chia seeds have 3 times more antioxidants than blueberries.
- Chia is high in potassium. The seeds have 2 times more potassium than banana.
- Chia supporrts healthy blood sugar levels. Once digested, Chia forms a barrier between carbohydrates and enzymes that break them down, slowing the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar.
Because of its nutritional value and stability, Chia is already being added to a range of foods. such as prepared baby foods, nutrition bars and baked goods. Most of these products have yet to hit the market. In the meantime, you can get Chia seeds at many health food stores. In additional, Chia seeds are available in convenient capsule form.
Try our Healthy Choice Naturals Pure Chia Capsules and gain the amazing benefits of one of nature’s most powerful super foods.