For most, it’s a long weekend and a time to relax, spend time with your friends and family, and have some fun. With Memorial Day marking the unofficial start of summer, we suggest these 7 tips for staying healthy and safe this holiday weekend.
- Keep the Bug’s Away. Try natural alternatives to beat those pesky mosquitoes. You can spray on a diluted liquid garlic concentrate or apply vinegar or soybean oil on your skin to prevent the bugs from biting.
- Instant Headache Relief. During the hot summer months, drink a glass of water to relieve headaches. Often headaches are caused by dehydration and can be alleviated by drinking plenty of fluids.
- Protect Against Sunburns. In addition to sunscreen (we suggest using only all natural sunscreens available on-line and in natural health stores), load up on red, yellow and orange fruits and vegetables. These have carotenoids that may help naturally reduce sunburn risk.
- Safe Grilling Coat both meats and the grill with olive oil to ensure great flavor, but avoid potential carcinogens. Many of us like the flavor of meats with a bit of char (blackening), but research has shown this method can create harmful substances called heterocyclic amines.
- Go Lean. Choose leaner meats and marinate them for 24 hours to enjoy the flavor without all the fat this Memorial Day. Fatty meats make for tasty barbequing, but you can use leaner, healthier meats and make them more tender and flavorful by marinating them. Enjoy the flavor without all the fat.
- Stay Cool with Some Spice. Believe it or not, spicy foods dilate your peripheral blood vessels making you perspire, which in turn cools your body.
- Chill Out. If you’re planning a picnic this weekend, make sure to keep food cool in order to prevent bacteria which can cause food poisoning. Large chunks of ice last longer and keep foods colder. Food that’s sitting unrefrigerated for more than 2 hours should be thrown away.
Plan ahead to enjoy a safe, fun and healthy Memorial Day weekend with family and friends. Practicing smart grilling, staying safe in the sun and drinking plenty of fluids can help you make the most of your holiday weekend.