Did you know that your body contains roughly 100 trillion cells, and only 10% of them are actually human cells? The other 90% are bacterial cells and microorganisms that are not only critical for your health, but critical for your survival.
So what are these 90 trillion microorganisms doing inside your body? They are keeping you alive, for starters. The fact is that humans and other life forms on Earth would not be able to survive without these microbial wonders.
The bacteria, fungi, viruses and other microorganisms that inhabit the internal ecosystem in your gut have far-reaching health effects. Maintaining an optimal balance of good vs. bad bacteria in your gut plays a key role in your health, affecting way more than just your digestive system.
Healthy Intestines Strengthen Your Immune System
One of the main reasons why restoring your gut flora is so important is that about 80% of your immune system resides in your gut. A healthy gut boosts your immune strength, and a strong immune system is your first line of defense against all illnesses and ailments, from the common cold to serious, life-threatening health conditions. So protect your health and wellness by taking active measures to support and maintain an optimal balance of beneficial microorganisms in your gut and digestive system.
Your Intestinal Microflora are Under Attack Every Day
Do you eat lots of sweets and drink lots of sodas? Are you taking antibiotics? Do you eat CAFO (confined animal feeding operation) meats that contain antibiotics? Do you drink chlorinated water? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions it is important to know these lifestyle and dietary choices can wreak havoc on your gut health.
To support your gut microflora, you should avoid these things:
- Eating high-sugar/high-fructose foods: The harmful, pathogenic bacteria, yeast and fungi in the gut actually thrive on sugar. So if you eat lots of sweets and drink lots of sodas and sports drinks, you’re actually nourishing the bad bacteria and enabling it to proliferate and destroy your health.
- Taking antibiotics.
- Drinking chlorinated water.
- Using antibacterial soaps.
- Exposure to agricultural chemicals, toxins and pollution.
So when it comes to restoring your gut flora, what should you do?
First, you should include more fermented foods in your diet to “reseed” the growth of friendly bacteria in your gut. Good fermented foods include Lassi (an Indian yogurt drink), fermented unpasteurized milk such as kefir, Natto (fermented soy), and pickled foods like cabbage, eggplant, cucumbers, onions, squash, etc. Avoid pasteurized foods since the pasteurization process destroys many of the natural, beneficial probiotics in foods such as pasteurized milk and yogurt, and pasteurized pickles and sauerkraut, etc.
Second, you should take a high-quality probiotic supplement such as Healthy Choice Naturals Balanced Probiotic. It contains 5 billion all-natural friendly bacteria from 7 major strains that have been shown to be highly beneficial at restoring your gut flora, supporting your digestive and colon health, and supporting your immune system.
- Probiotic Foods and Probiotic Supplements Become More Important as You Age
- Probiotic Supplements: A Growing Trend for Optimal Digestive & Immune System Health
- The Real Benefits of Probiotics and Your Health
- Introducing Balanced Probiotic Supplement
- 12 Natural Strategies for Healthier Skin
- Natural Ways to Prevent Those “Painfull Yeast Infections”