It is fairly well know that the American diet is lacking. Between processed foods, fast foods and busy lifestyles, we just don’t eat as well as we should. Plus a large portion of the foods we consume lack the vitamins and minerals our bodies depend on to function.
In fact, about 30 percent of the calories that Americans consume daily are junk foods like sweets, desserts, soft drinks, alcoholic beverages and salty snacks that don’t have any or very little nutritional value.
Here are the Six Nutrients Most Likely to be Deficient in Your Diet:
Over 96% of American are not getting enough fiber which helps to support bowel regularity, maintain normal cholesterol and blood sugar levels, and may help you maintain a healthy weight by staving off hunger.
- Good Food Sources: Raspberries, broccoli, swiss chard, celery, pinto beans, squash, strawberries and asparagus
2. Vitamin C
More than 30 percent of Americans don’t get enough vitamin C, but the benefits of vitamin C may include protection against immune system deficiencies, cardiovascular disease, prenatal health problems, eye disease, and even skin wrinkling.
- Good Food Sources of Vitamin C: Red bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, parsley, lemon juice, strawberries, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cantaloupe, and grapefruit.
Approximately 56 percent of Americans are lacking enough magnesium, which is a mineral that is essential to many biological processes that occur in the body. It is essential to build and strengthen your bones, keep your blood circulating smoothly, support your heart health and help you maintain proper muscle function.
- Excellent Food Sources: Spinach, swiss chard, squash, pumpkin seeds, cucumbers, sunflower seeds and black beans.
4. Vitamin A
Vitamin A helps to preserve and improve your eyesight, promotes healthy skin and boosts your immune function, but about 44 percent of Americans aren’t getting enough.
- Excellent Food Sources: Raw carrots, sweet potatoes, cantaloupe, spinach, kale, romaine lettuce, apricots, red bell peppers.
About 70% of Americans don’t get enough calcium which is the chief supportive element in bones and teeth. Calcium salts make up about 70 percent of bone by weight and give your bone its strength and rigidity.
- Good Food Sources: Yogurt, sesame seeds, milk, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, asparagus, and oranges.
Potassium helps your nerves and muscles function properly, maintains normal blood pressure and helps regulate body fluids, yet 97 percent of Americans aren’t getting enough.
- Excellent Food Sources: Swiss chard, spinach, lima beans, avocado, pinto beans, papaya, lentils, eggplant, strawberries and beets.
The good news is we can all get the nutrients we need by following a healthy, well-balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables. Additionally, taking a good multivitamin supplement can help replace some of the nutrients you may be lacking.
Healthy Choice Naturals Full Spectrum Daily Multiple is America’s most complete multivitamin supplement. It contains 57 vitamins, herbs, and minerals, giving your body the powerful support it needs for overall health and well-being.